WELCOME

READ, REACT, RESPOND.



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BREATHING

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away." 
Heard this George Straight song recently and it reminded me that sometimes we concentrate too much on breathing that we forget to enjoy the moments. I am having a great time lately with my life. I have had my breath taken away many times lately, and it feels so wonderful. Every minute of this new life is breath taking, but I know that even though those breath taking moments feel so wonderful I still need to take time and breathe.

It is in taking the breath after each breath taking event that I find my true self. Sometimes the breath taking events are events that I wish would never end, and other times they are simply reminders of good times long past. After each breath taking event, I find myself reflecting and wondering if things can really be that great for me. I have a tendency to over analyze, and underestimate. I do not expect good things to happen to me and when they do, I wonder how I am so lucky.

I have tried to compile a list of some of my most “breath taking” moments and how they are still a part of my life, or how they are merely memories. In my attempts to put this list together I found too many to list them all. I will post the following as highlights of the most “breath taking” and plan to come back and add to the list as others come to mind or new moments occur. The events are in no particular order, other than the order they come to mind, except the first one, it is pretty obvious.

  •  The most breath taking moment of my life was the birth of my precious babies! That moment still brings me to my knees in joyful prayers of thanksgiving. They are definitely the lights of my life, and the main reason I live and breathe.
  • My breath is taken anytime I am in the same room as my wonderful grandmother. She has been a true inspiration to me through the years, and is always one of my biggest supporters.
  • My mother takes my breath daily with the love and concern she has for me. She is truly my best friend and my most adoring fan.
  • Recently, my father spoke to me in a way that let me know he does love me and he accepts me for me. There were doubts until he spoke recently and I knew my Dad was “back”.
  • My friends are a large part of my breath taking moments. Too many to list, but sometimes the recovery from their moments takes days. There are a few friends who must be highlighted here, as they are throughout these writings, because they are the ones who have gotten me through so much and continue to support and encourage daily. Without mentioning names I will just leave it to you to know who you are.
  • Mom2 takes my breath away by being ever present. Her unconditional love and unwavering support push me to remember that I am loved no matter who I am or who I love!
  • Recently had my breath taken away by the arrival of a new friend in my life. Amazing how things happen when least expected. It has been a fun journey so far, and I look forward to each new day with him.
  • The return of friends I thought were lost forever has been another moment to take my breath away. I had written some of them off for one reason or another, but they have returned and the friendships have picked back up where they left off, some even stronger and more enjoyable.
  • Random text messages take my breath away, especially when they come from someone who I haven’t heard from in months. They probably texted by mistake but it still meant something, just knowing they still exist.
  • GOD takes my breath away at all that he provides daily. I am so thankful each and every day for the life, love, and experiences I have. I look forward to each new day with faith and hope for unending glory.

As these breath taking moments occur, I know just how blessed I am. I will continue to enjoy my life’s journey, knowing that each day brings renewed promise for more moments that will take my breath way, and I will remind myself as the song says. . .

“But life's not the breath you take, the breathing in and out
That gets you through the day, ain't what it's all about
You just might miss the point trying to win the race
Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away”

 
 
 

1 comment:

Genetta Coy said...

Phil - It was SO good to see you and talk with you at the basketball game the other night! I loved seeing the excitement you have with your upcoming Track season at Indpls. Met. I know these kids will be blessed by you and everything you are bringing them. Brooke has said many times how much she misses you and was hoping you would come to visit her class - then she got to see you at the game and was SO glad for the hug! She said, "Mommy - Mr. Arnold was glad to see me TOO! That makes me SO happy!"

I believe you are truly gifted in your many talents - teaching being one of them. Keep your chin up and when times are tough - just remind yourself that these kids just need to know that you truly care about each and every one of them. Even when times are frustrating - just take a deep breath and thank God for them because they probably have people in their lives who do not thank God for them. You are very good at making these kids feel special!
--Always your friend,
Genetta Coy