WELCOME

READ, REACT, RESPOND.



Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Why Your Health Matters To Me

If you have known me longer than 7 years, then you have most likely heard my story.  If you have not, you can read about it here, Nightmare.  My nightmare has brought about a constant fear of any illness that may affect my lungs and respiratory system.  When this virus began to appear, I started to live in fear of catching it.  As someone with a compromised respiratory system, every cough, sneeze, drip, and irritation causes me to worry.  Not just my own symptoms, but anyone who is near me with any of these causes me to want to run and hide.

I watch as people protest and whine about Stay-at-Home orders and the "violations" of their freedoms.  It sickens me that so many disregard this illness as something to be scoffed at and ignored because it "isn't going to get them" or they "think it is just a hoax to scare people".  This is outrageous.  Our government screwed up, but we have been given the knowledge and the tools to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe.  We must stay clean, wear face coverings, be aware of how this virus adversely affects our fellow men and women, and follow Stay-Home fiercely.

You may wonder why I don't go anywhere, except for an occasional car ride for a change of scenery, well it is because I fear your lack of concern for others.  I do not believe everyone has a total disregard for the health of others, but I see it in those who "have to get out", "have to party", and "must see their people".  This is why your health matters to me.  

I do not want to run into you at the store without your mask, so I STAY HOME.  I do not want to be exposed to this virus because you do not see the benefits of practicing safe social distancing.  I do not want to catch this virus and go through the agony anything like i went through six years ago.  

I am not angry with you because you do what you feel you "need to get out".  I am not angry that you do not see how the Executive Orders and Social Distancing guidelines "benefit" you.  I am not angry about any of this at all.  I am, however, saddened and disappointed.  I am saddened that, as much as you mean to me, my health means little to you.  I am disappointed that you feel like grabbing a beer, having a gathering, or getting out of the house are more important the lives you may unknowingly put in jeopardy.

You see, just because you may not have the symptoms, you still could be carrying the virus and spreading it to those more susceptible to the attack.  My body, my parents bodies, the bodies of others who have compromised immune and respiratory systems are put in danger every time we are in contact with someone who is "perfectly fine" because they have no symptoms.  Until everyone is tested, we will not know who might be bringing the deadly invader into our presence.  So if I am hesitant to interact and "Socialize" please do not be angry and upset with me.  Please understand I am taking things seriously because I have been in a hospital bed drowning inside my own body and I DO NOT want to ever feel like that again.  Until this virus is slowed and a vaccine is found, I will continue to be fearful and diligent in my self-care.  I love my people and I am not usually as fearful of an illness, but this virus is deadly with its adverse affects on the respiratory system.  Please know that I am not angry, just extra cautious.  I ask that you not be angry or upset with me if I choose to continue a safe distance and keep myself safe.  This is why YOUR health matters to ME.  Because I do not want anyone to suffer the pain and agony that comes with this and I do not want to feel anything near what I felt six years ago ever again.


No comments: